Tips to Get Along with your Neighbors
When you live in an apartment building, you are going to be surrounded by other people. You are going to have several neighbors. Though you don’t have to really like them, it is important to find a way to get along with them. If not, your time in the apartment is not going to be as nice as it could be.
Here are some tips to get along with your neighbors.
- Be friendly. Even if you don’t need any more friends in your life, it is much better if you are friendly with your neighbors. You don’t have to strike up conversations every time that you see them. However, friendly waves and hellos go a long way to making life a little easier in an apartment building.
- Don’t abuse common space. Many apartment complexes have shared space. Not only are you going to have to share your hallways, there may be outside areas and walkways that get shared. Use these areas because that is what they are there for, but don’t abuse them. Pick up your trash when you leave. If you are taking up an extra seat and someone else comes to sit down, move your things. Don’t leave boxes and trash in the hallway. If your dog poops on the walkway (or the surrounding grass), pick it up so no one steps in it.
- Don’t be a noisy neighbor. Nothing is worse than loud neighbors who keep you up all night. You should do everything that you can to avoid being the one that everyone wants to avoid. If you like to stay up late, do so quietly. Avoid loud music when others may be sleeping. When you are coming in late, be as quiet as possible when you are in the hallway to avoid waking everyone up.
- If you are planning on having a party or a loud gathering, talk to your neighbors first. This shows them that you care about their feelings and you want to work with them so that nobody gets upset. If you are having work done to your home (or something else that is equally loud), try to do it when most people are at work.
- If you have pets, please be courteous about them. Make sure that your pets are vaccinated and fixed so that there are no unwanted animals between neighbors. However, that is just the start. You should pick up after your dog so nobody steps in their mess. Keep your pet area clean to help with the smell. If your dog barks a lot, work on it with a trainer so you don’t bother the neighbors.
- Respect parking spaces. Many apartment buildings have strict parking spots and rules because they are such a commodity. If you have your own space, use it. Don’t use someone else’s. If you are planning on having guests, make sure that they know where they can park. Don’t let them take someone else’s spot (unless you have permission and they are away).
- If you have a problem with your neighbor, talk to them about it. If you have a noisy neighbor or someone who is constantly banging the walls that you share, go to their apartment and talk to them about it. By being courteous, you can hopefully get the problem solved without getting the landlord or the cops involved.
Living in an apartment can be an adjustment. You are going to be surrounded by neighbors. However, friendly waves and hellos can really go a long way to getting along with your neighbors. You should also consider your noise and your pets so you are not the neighbor that everyone dislikes. If you do have a problem, take the time to talk to them about it before going any further.